GRFA Men Win 3-2

On Sunday at Stead Park, our Men’s Team defeated Corio Bay 3-2. It was a tough and maybe a lucky win for our boys who were badly short-handed because their match clashed with the Cats v Saints blockbuster.

The youthful Cane Shkorof, at the age 65, was required to laced up his boots for this battle as was 15 yo Dylan.

The match began with Corio Bay on the offensive but it was GeelongSC who took the lead. A quick counter-attack saw Robbi run through the Corio Bay defense and into a one-on-one situation with their keeper. Robbi cooly slotted the ball low past the keeper’s far-post to find net.

Corio Bay continued to press and threaten the Geelong goal, excellent defending from Kristejan, Efto, Stefce, & Zoki held Corio Bay out. Late in the half another counter-attack presented Robbi with a scoring opportunity, Robbi ran with the ball to within 20 meters and at a 45 degree angle to goal before he planted his left boot into leather, firing a low drive into the Corio Bay goal. Geelong finished the half with a dubious 2-0 lead.

The second half began with more Corio Bay pressure, they were rewarded with goal when they conveted from a corner-kick scramble. Geelong continued to menace with their counter-attacking style Miki, Kosta, Georgi and Robbi were combining well to pose a constant threat.

In what may have been a first in competitive football, 15 year old Dylan replaced 65 year old Cane during the half. That age difference between substituted players is probably the highest in an football match. I’ll google it when I have time.

Back to the match, midway in the second half Branne won a turnover in Corio Bay’s half. He quickly moved the ball up to Kosta who crossed to Robbi, finding Robbi’s sweet left boot. Robbi was able to slot the ball first-time past the advancing Corio Bay keeper and into net. Geelong’s 3rd goal was also Robbi’s 3rd for the match. Surprisingly this was the first time Robbi had scored a hat-trick. Welcome to the club Robbi!

Corio Bay lay  siege on the Geelong goal for the remainder of the half. Desperate defending and a bunch of fine saves from Shayka kept Corio Bay to only one more goal.

It was a fantastic fighting effort by the Geelong boys, well done everyone!

Next match is at Barwon Heads, c u there.